Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Shark, Dolphin, or Whale??

I recently attended a Network Marketing Event for a Health & Wellness Company I'm involved with and we learned about the different personality types. We are all asked to take a test to determine what type we were and how we could recognize other types to market or sell to. It's no surprise to me that I learned that I was a shark. I was kind of surprised as I though I would be more of a Whale, but the proof is in the pudding.

Here are the different types of personalities divided into 3 categories based on their type.

A Shark is someone who is highly motivated by money, freedom, and recognition. He or she can take a lot, has a "thick skin," is ambitious and aggressive. The shark is not interested in the details, usually impatient and may come off as abrasive. They dress sharp and drive expensive cars. They wear high-end designer clothes and jewelry.

The Whale is more motivated by helping and serving others. He or she would love to change the world if given the opportunity. They are very compassionate, patient, kind and thoughtful. They are less interested in how fast something gets done (lacking urgency) but rather how well it is done and how it serves the greater good. These people are often shy or timid and can be emotional; wearing their emotions on their sleeves so-to-speak. They dress to blend in, very conservative and earth tones.

Next, there is the Dolphin. My friend Sandy is definitely one of these. She is motivated by anything social, fun and exciting. The dolphin-type is popular and has a lot of friends and acquaintances. He or she is very outgoing and charismatic. On the downside, they are late for everything, very disorganized and don't have the attention span for too many details. They wear trendy clothes, often bright colors and can be very conspicuous in a crowd.

Which are you a shark, whale, or dolphin?

I looked online to find the test, but could not find. I took my test offline. If you find it, let me know and post it on my blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I first became involved in Network Marketing, this information was given as part of a private conversation. I never knew I would need to Goggle it and find out what personality type I was. For a period of time I thought I was a Dolphin, not realizing the the Whale personality. I am a Whale, but I'm also a Cheerleader (Dolphin). My feelings are hurt often, so I pretend to be a Shark.

I love networking. There are skills that needs to be improved. I'm working on them. Thank you for giving me a place to vent. During my last meeting, indirectly, I was told to stop chasing two rabbits (one business is enough), use a credit card to upgrade my account, and stop being a Cheerleader. I think that I'm amongst a bunch of Sharks. I feel better now. Thank you for listening. Whale/Dolphin