Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ways to leverage and eliminate wasted time on Social Media

It's been said that some men now actually prefer Facebook over sex. I can tell you from being on Social Media Sites for more than a few years that it can become a distraction in your life. The average social media user checks their social media sites on average of 5 times per day. I've actually watched my last marriage decline due to my social media activity and have had some difficulty in past relationships due to becoming too public with my relationships on Facebook. With all of my distractions from Social Media, I will say I still am a much sought after expert on the topic of social media. Here are a few tips to make 2011 a great year on Social Media:

  • Only be on a few Social Media Sites. (Pick your 2 favorites and run with it). I personally, like Twitter and Facebook the best.

  • Only Check your Social Media Pages, Emails, etc... a few times per day. (morning, afternoon, night).

  • Don't spend more than 30 minutes each time you get on your Social Media Site (unless you're having a meaningful chat with a friend or family member)

  • If you find you're spending way too much time on Social Media Sites, and it's interfering with your life in a negative way, use a timer.

  • Use your Iphone or Smartphone for updates

  • If you're using Social Media for Business, use the 80/20 rule (80% of your tweets and updates should either give value or personal taste, if you must advertise your biz, no more than 20% of the time)

  • If you want to promote your biz, set up a fan page or twitter page - specifically for that


  • Social Media can be fun, but can also become an addiction and relationship destroyer if you're not careful.

    No comments: